Chairman & Head of the Department
Prof. S. Rajasekaran
M.S, DNB, F.R.C.S.(Ed), M.Ch(Liv), F.A.C.S, F.R.C.S.(Eng), Ph.D,
Chairman, Dept of Orthopaedic, Trauma & Spine Surgery
Dr Rajasekaran has been instrumental in building and shaping the orthopaedic department into a very busy clinical unit with strong academic and research components. He had a brilliant academic career and was the ‘Best outgoing student’ of Coimbatore Medical College and stood first in the University of Madras in the orthopaedic post-graduate examinations. He was awarded the Khazenifer Gold Medal and Norman Roberts Medal for best performance during his M.Ch exams in Liverpool, UK. He completed his Ph.D in 2000.
He has special interest in spine surgery, arthroplasty and clinical research in major trauma. He has led the unit’s basic science research in spinal deformities, disc nutrition and biology and genetics of disc degeneration which have been recognised with numerous awards and published in international journals. He was also instrumental in the evolution of ‘Ganga Hospital Open Injury Severity Score’ which guides critical decisions in saving and reconstructing severely injured limbs.
He has also been passionate about road safety and preventing unnecessary loss of lives on roads with the successful PIL in the Supreme Court and also being the Managing Trustee of UYIR, an NGO for road safety in Coimbatore city.
- Chairman, Dept of Orthopaedics & Spine Surgery, Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore.
- Adjunct Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University.
- Hunterian Professor by the Royal College of Surgeons of England for the year 2011-12
Leadership in Professional Bodies:
- Chair, AOSpine International, Zurich (2018-2021)
- President Elect, Asia Pacific Spine Society
- President-Elect, Association of National Board Accredited Institutions (ANBAI)
- AOSIN nominated delegate- Jan 1 2021 to Dec 31 2023
- President of SICOT - International Society For Orthopaedics And Trauma Surgery (2016 – 2018)
- Chair - AOSpine International Research Commission (2015-17)
- President- Cervical Spine Research Society – Asia Pacific (2017-2018)
- President of International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine, (ISSLS), Canada (2011-2012)
- President of the World Orthopaedic Concern (WOC), UK (2005-2007).
- Chief National Delegate, Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association
- Chairman, Trauma Section of Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association
- President of the Indian Orthopaedic Association (2011-2012)
- President of the Association of Spine Surgeons of India for four years (2008 – 2012)
- President – Tamilnadu Orthopaedic Association, 2012
- President, Association of British Scholars, Coimbatore
Examiner in Orthopaedic Surgery for
- The National Board of Examinations, New Delhi.
- DY Patil Deemed University, Pune.
- National University of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
Other Academic Distinctions:
- ‘Distinguished Visitor’ to Harvard Medical International, Boston, USA ,2007.
- ‘Grand Rounds Lecturer’ of Mayo Hospital, USA, 2010.
- ‘Distinguished Visitor’ to Hokaido University, Japan, 2007.
- ‘Distinguished Visitor’ to Chinese University of Hong Kong ,2006.
- ‘Distinguished Visitor’ to Dartmouth University, USA ,2005.
- Past Member of Faculty of Medicine, Annamalai University
- Past Member of the Planning Board, Bharathiar University.
- Current Member of Board of Studies, Bharathiar University
- Member of Specialists Board in Spine Surgery, National Board of Examinations, New Delhi
Significant International Awards:
- North American Spine Society Outstanding Research Awardconsecutively for 2019 & 2020
- ISSLS Prize for Spine Research for the years 2004, 2010, 2013 & 2017
- Asia Pacific Spine Society Best Clinical Research Award for 2019
- Asia Pacific Spine Journal Award for Best Clinical Paper for 2019
- Asia Pacific Spine Society Basic Science Research Award for 2019
- Asia Pacific Spine Journal Award for Best Basic Science Paper for 2019
- ‘EuroSpine Open Paper Award’ for 2008 for his research demonstrating that Disc Nutrition in spine can be modified by Calcium channel Blockers
- Macnab LaRocca Research Award of ISSLS in 2005
- Sofamer Danek Award for the best Scientific presentation internationally by the International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine thrice for the years 1996, 2002 & 2006.
Other International Awards:
- ‘Harald Tscherene Teaching' Award by the German Trauma Society, 2019
- Walter P. Blount Humanitarian Award by the Scoliosis Research Society, USA, 2015
- The Macnab/Larocca Fellowship Award for Lumbar Spine Research, 2014
- Hunterian Professorship of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2012
- Honorary Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons, London, 2010
- APOA (Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association) Spine Award by the Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association, 2007
- Harvard Medical International - Wockhardt Award for Medical Excellence in the field of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2007
- Clinical Excellence Award by BrainLab, Germany, 2006
- SICOT Paper Award for presentation at the SICOT Meeting, San Diego, USA. Aug 2002
- ISSLS- Sofamer Danek Award for “Best Clinical Research Paper” International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine, Annual meeting at Cleveland, USA. May 14-18, 2002
- ISSLS- Sofamer Danek Award' for “Best Clinical Research Paper” International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine, Annual meeting,Singapore, 1996
- International Fellowship Award of International Society for Study of Lumbar Spine - Marseilles, France, May 1993
Significant National Awards:
- Hari Om Ashram Alembic Research Award 2017, Medical Council of India
- Dr B C Roy Silver Jubilee Research Award 2004, Medical Council of India
- Hari Om Ashram Alembic Research Award for 2004, Medical Council of India
- Hari Om Ashram Prerit Dr S Rangachari Research Endowment Lecture Award >by the Association of Surgeons of India, 2007
- Tridecennial Award for Teachers for 2012, National Board of Examinations New Delhi
- Scroll of Honour for 2012, The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University
- Tamilnadu Scientist Award for 2000, Government of Tamilnadu
- Research & Publication Awards of the Association of Spine Surgeons of India – 2003 to 2021.
Other National Awards:
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Coimbatore Orthopaedic Society, 2019
- Best Publication Gold Medal, Tamilnadu Orthopaedic Association, 2009
- Best Published Paper Award, ISSICON 2008 & 2009
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Eminence in Medicine, Lions Clubs International Dist 324 B5, 2008
- Vocational Excellence Award, The International Association of Lions Clubs District 324 B1, 2007
- V T Ingalhalikar Gold Medal, ASSICON(Association of Spine Surgeons of India) Conference - 2006
- TOBIP Achievers Award, Coimbatore Cosmo Junior Chamber, 2003
- Prof. A. Subramanian Gold Medal for Best Basic Science Research Award Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association- Annual Conference, Kodaikanal, Feb 2003
- Silver Jubilee Award for Original Research, 2002 from Medical Council of India carrying a special Medallion and cash award of Rs.1 lakh - awarded by the President of India
- Prof. A. Subramanian Gold Medal for Best Basic Science Research Award Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association- Annual Conference, Chennai, Feb 2001
- Vocational Excellence Award, Rotary Club of Coimbatore West, 2000
- Prof. Vyageswarudu Gold Medal for the best paper, Tamil Nadu State Orthopaedic, Annual Conference, Chennai, 1998
- ORMED Indo-German Orthopaedic Foundation Award Best Orthopaedic Research presentation, Hyderabad, 1997
- AA Mehta Gold Medal for the Best Paper Presentation, Indian Orthopaedic Association Conference, Kochi, November 1997
International Journal Positions:
- Deputy Editor of The Bone & Joint Surgery, USA
- Deputy Editor of the Journal of SPINE, USA
- Deputy Editor of Global Spine Journal, USA
- Deputy Editor of SPINE
- Deputy Editor of Journal of Craniovertebral surgery
- Past Deputy Editor of European Spine Journal
Distinguished International Visiting Professorship:
- Dartmouth university, USA, 2005.
- Chinese University of Hongkong, 2006.
- Hokaido University, Japan, 2007.
- Harvard Medical International, USA, 2008.
- Dr Rajasekaran has 291 publications in international journals, 70 national publications and 462 international and 537 national presentations.
- He has also contributed 65 chapters in international books.
- Chief Editor of a Video Atlas of Spine Surgery.
- Chief Editor of ASSI Textbook on Spinal Infections & Trauma.
- Guest Editor, Trauma Section, Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma