Chairman & Head of the Department
Dr. S. Raja Sabapathy
M.S, DNB, F.R.C.S.(Ed), M.Ch(Liv), F.A.C.S, F.R.C.S.(Eng), Ph.D,M.S. (Gen),M.Ch, (Plastic),DNB (Plastic), FRCS (Edin.), Hon FRCS (Glas),FAMS, D.Sc (Hon)
Chairman, Division of Plastic Surgery, Hand Surgery, Reconstructive Microsurgery and Burns
Dr Raja Sabapathy, Chairman, Department of Plastic, Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgery and Burns graduated as the Best Outgoing Student of Stanley Medical College, standing first in Medicine and Surgery in the Madras University.
His chief interests are Hand Surgery, Microsurgery and complex reconstruction following trauma, cancer and burns.
2024 Surgeons from 68 countries have visited the Plastic Surgery department to observe the surgical procedures and system of care.. Organizations like Resurge Africa, B First, Medecins San Frontiers (MSF) IMET 2000, CoRSU Uganda, Rotary International have partnered with the unit for capacity building across the world. Recognizing his Leadership qualities in putting India in the World map of Reconstructive Surgery, the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India has instituted the APSI – Raja Sabapathy Leadership Award to recognize future leaders in the field.
He is passionate to provide free reconstruction for burn survivors through the project, "Hope after Fire', an initiative with Rotary Club of Coimbatore Metropolis.
- Chairman, Dept of Plastic, Hand and Microsurgery, Burns and Aesthetic Surgery
- Hon Consultant, Armed Forces Medical Services of India
- Sushruta –Guha Professor of Plastic Surgery and Wound Healing, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh - 2016
Leadership in Professional Bodies:
- President Elect, Asian Pacific Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand
- Secretary General Elect, International Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand
- EC Member, Diabetic Foot Society of India.
- President, Association of Plastic Surgeons of India
- President, Indian Society for Surgery of the Hand
- President, Indian Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- President, Brachial Plexus Surgery Group of India
- President, International Trauma Care (Indian Section)
- Douglas Lamb Lecturer of the British Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Shivas Medal of Central Traumatology Institute, Moscow
- Global Alumni Award for Service to Humanity, Rotary Foundation
- Bangladesh Society for Surgery of the Hand Award
- Asia Pacific Spine Journal Award for Best Basic Science Paper for 2019
- Honorary Memberships of the Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow, British Society for Surgery of the Hand, South African
- Society for Hand Surgery, Serbian Microsurgery Society
- Visiting Professor at the Mayo Clinic, Yale, Washington University
- Invited International Member of the American Association of Plastic Surgery
- Silver Jubilee Oration Award of AIIMS, 2015
- Gilles Oration, 2013, Mukerjee Oration 2008, Peet Prize 1993, 2002, NH Antia Prize, 2006, 2008,2019, RN Sinha Award 2003 of APSI
- Tamilnadu Scientist Award 2007
- Conferred Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) of Dr MGR Educational&Research Institute
- Delivered 30 Eponymous Orations in Professional Associations
- Co Author- Microsugery Practice Manual Editor, Text book of Plastic Surgery, Hand Section Authored 47 book chapters
- Editor, Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery (1994-99)
- Regional Editor, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Editorial Board
- Dy Editor, Hand Surgery, Asia Pacific Volume.
- Guest Editor, in international journals, Seminars in Plastic Surgery, Hand Clinics and Injury.
Editorial Board Member
- Hand (American Association of Hand Surgery)
- Techniques in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
- Hand Surgery (Springer)