Events & Activities
1. World Nutrition Week
- "Nutrifeast": A culinary treat and celebration of healthy foods, was organized with around 75 healthy dishes prepared in-house using under-utilized health foods on 4th September 2013. Members of the public and press were also invited and a leading newspaper carried a report about it the next day. The various dishes with their nutritive values displayed prominently were an instant hit with the invitees.
- An awareness drive for supplementary foods for wound healing, immunity improvement and diabetic nutrition was done throughout the week with sampling of supplements by visitors to the hospital.
2. Nutrition Expo
Every year a Nutrition Expo is conducted by the paramedical students and Dietitians on various themes. The participants showcase creative recipes for various therapeutic diets which are assessed and evaluated by the Eminent Judges.
NUTRIMENTUS - 2014
Nutrition expo was conducted by the first year BSC nursing and GNM students on 24.06.2014 and it was named as "NUTRIMENTUS - 2014".
The invitation was prepared creatively by the students like fruit basket. The programme was enlightened by our chief guest Dr. J. G Shanmuganathan, Chairman, GIHS. The special welcome was given by our students by the welcome doll, which was attractively prepared by the vegetable wastes.
Vegetable carving was depicted under the theme of "play while play - study while study" to reach our motto "Aspire to Excel".
The students were grouped in to five teams and competition was conducted on following therapeutic diet and best of single ingredient.
- LOW CALORIE DIET / BROKENWHEAT.
- RENAL DIET / HORSE GRAM.
- ANTIOXIDANTS / CORN.
- BEST MEMORY DIET / OATS.
- FIBRE RICH DIET / THINAI.
Criteria's were formulated , the best diet was selected based on the criteria's and the prices were given for the first 2 places.
THE JURY MEMBERS ARE:
|MR. LEELA KRISHNAN,
CHIEF FINANCE MANAGER
K.G.COLLEGE OF NURSING.
Every one's attention was completely engrossed by the therapeutic diet prepared by the students. The gatherings were overwhelmingly impressed by the Delicious, Scrumptious, Tempting and Nectarous food items prepared by the various group of students through which the talents of students were appreciated. Students are here by trained to excel multidimentionally.
3. World Diabetes day - 2013
World Diabetes Day raises global awareness of diabetes, its escalating rates around the world and how to prevent the illness in most cases. Started by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) and WHO, the Day is celebrated on 14 November to mark the birthday of Frederick Banting who, along with Charles Best, was instrumental in the discovery of insulin in 1922, a life-saving treatment for diabetes patients. Presently, approximately 347 million people worldwide have diabetes and more than 80% of people with diabetes live in low - and middle - income countries. WHO projects that diabetes related deaths will double between 2005 and 2030.
4. Awareness Programs
Our kitchen and food service staff are periodically trained on the finer aspects of personal hygiene, food safety and communication by the Chief Dietitian as well as by Experts from outside.
5. International Conferences
We cater delicious and healthy food for all the National and International conferences organized in our hospital by the Plastic, Orthopedic and Anesthesia Departments. We satisfy the taste of delegates from all parts of our country as well as various other countries; with delegates ranging from 400 to 600.
The potential for research and documentation in this field is very high and the department's endeavor is to engage itself in documentation of management modalities and delineate interrelationship between Indian Dietaries and health and Diseases
The Following Research abstracts were selected by the Indian Dietetic Association for the Poster Presentation which was done by Deepa Sathish, Sathiya suba, and Sudha
1. The Prevalence of eating disorder among the adolescent girls in selected schools of Coimbatore.
2. The prevalence of malnutrition among the hospitalized orthopaedic patients in Ganga hospital at Coimbatore.
The department is currently involved in the following research activity
- N.Deepa Sathish., Chief Dietitian and Associate Professor is currently involved in research on A study on the evaluation of Low cost Cereal & Pulse based supplementation incorporated with HBV proteins on trauma patients". A part of the above study was selected by Nutrition Society of India for poster presentation.
- Dr. Rohini Sharma, Chief Clinical Nutritionist is presently conducting research on the impact of enteral nutrition on serum albumin levels in patients with severe burns, at Ganga Hospital.